Obviously there are lots of ways to use a leftover chicken; the simple sandwich, a lovely curry, paella, omelettes and so on, but I’m including this recipe because it’s versatile, adaptable and it’s a useful one for our vegementalist friends, as it is equally lovely without the chicken. The ingredients I have used are the ideal, but if you have only one type of pepper, then use that or if you haven’t any peppers then cut a carrot into matchsticks (Julienne strips) and use that. If you aren’t using left over chicken, strips of ham make a nice alternative. The key is to experiment – see what you have in the cupboard and take a risk!
PEASANT STYLE ITALIAN RISOTTO
1 Large saucepan or casserole dish which can go on the hob
1 medium onion – chopped
½ red pepper – cut into squares – ish
½ green pepper – cut into squares – ish
½ yellow pepper – cut into squares – ish
3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
3 sticks of celery – ¼”/1cm slices
1 small tin of broad beans or 4oz (120g) frozen peas
12oz (360g) risotto rice or ordinary easy cook long grain rice
6 tbsp white wine
2 pints chicken stock (vegetable stock if you’re veggie) *
3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (in our case this is the cold chicken)
1oz (30g) butter
3oz (90g) cheddar cheese – grated
1. Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat
2. Add the onion, peppers, celery and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent
3. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute
4. Add the wine and cook, stirring until it has all been absorbed
5. Add the broad beans or peas
6. Add 3/4 the stock and cook, stirring occasionally until it has all been absorbed.
7. The keep adding stock, a little at a time until the rice is tender.
8. When it is at the consistency that you like, take the pan off the heat
9. Stir in the butter and cheese
10. Serve on it’s own or with a green salad
This dish can also be eaten cold, so is ideal for a healthy lunch box.
* If you want to use your own stock at this stage, then go ahead. Otherwise use good quality stock cubes.